Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Rough Weekend

I've been sitting here, staring at this screen for about 2 hours trying to figure out how to put my weekend into words. I suppose I should start off with a story as to why my weekend was rough...

About 6 weeks ago I went to see a doctor about getting back on an antidepressant. I wasn't able to get in to see my PCP, so I settled for another doctor hoping to get some relief. I went in and explained my situation and that I knew I had depression and I wanted to be medicated for it.

Side Note: I am typically well educated on my own medical issues. I do my research and ask questions to clarify my own understanding. I never claim to know more than the doctors, but I do know my body better than anyone else.

The doctor I saw has the nerve/audacity/bawls/cajones/whatever you call it to blame my depression on the fact that I'm fat. He also went along to say that I would be fine if I would just go ahead and get some exercise daily. "Some exercise and a better diet with completely get rid of that depression." Yeah... Great thinking Sherlock... While I do acknowledge that exercise will boost your serotonin levels and cause an increase in mood (thank you neuroscience classes), I am aware that it will not be a cure for all of the issues.  After some raised eyebrows and begging, I got my pills and instructions to follow up in a month.

2 weeks ago I call in a refill and I am informed that my Prozac was not given any refills... So I've been without pills for about a week and a half. Being on an antidepressant and suddenly coming off is NO fun. I try to be casual and upbeat on here, but sometimes I'm a complete mess. This weekend was no exception. The smallest things made me sob or made me angry. I slept until 9 on Saturday and 8:30 on Sunday (normally I'm out of bed around 7:15 on weekends, 6:00 on weekdays), and could not bring myself to do anything productive. It was very difficult. Luckily yesterday (no work, thanks to President's Day) I was able to get into see my PCP and get a year's worth of refills and a bit higher dose. I'm not back 100%, but I'm doing better than expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment